Find a blog you can use with your students and subscribe to it. (Look for the RSS icon in the blog you choose.) How could you use this blog to increase your effectiveness as a teacher or as a learning tool for your students? Post your answer as a comment. Be sure to include a link to the blog you chose!
(Tip: Copy & paste the link to your chosen blog. Save your comment. Click your link to test that it goes to the blog as you chose.)
I subscribe to Free Technology for Teachers. Although I don't read it everyday, I scan it when I want to find something new to add to one of my classes, or when I want to look up a particular technology.
ReplyDeleteHere is the link:
http://www.freetech4teachers.com/
The blog I chose that I could use with my students is "Needleworks Pictures". I am very new to blogging, so it took me awhile to find the one that I could really use. This blog shows different ways to incorporate tecnology in the classroom such as videos, make movies,and also take certain topics and put a technology spin to it. Here is the link
ReplyDeletehttp://needleworkspictures.com/
I chose to follow our Missouri FCCLA (Family Career and Community Leaders of America) blog. This is Family and Consumers Sciences national organization, but at the state level. Although, the school I am currenly teaching at does not affiliate with FCCLA, I do have some knowledge and background of the orginization. The blog is full of great resources, websites, and activites to use in the classroom. There are challenges, and for students to partcipate in. I would have students view this blog and access these resources.
ReplyDeletehttp://mofccla.blogspot.com/
I have two blogs that I would like to use with my students. The first is from Scholastic Kids Press Corp. http://blogs.scholastic.com/kidspress/2010/10/tight-race-in-new-hampshire.html. This blog is written by kids and includes current events and book reviews. This would be a great site to show as a model to my students about writing blogs as well as a good place to recieve information relavent to elementary age students.
ReplyDeleteThe second blog I would like to use is a fellow co-worker in our district. Mr. Gagnon is a fourth grade teacher in a neighboring town. He has modeled how to use a blog in the classroom and has taught our tech. mentor group a great deal about blogging with kids. His site would also help our students connect before they all go to the cooperative middle school in 6th grade. http://mrgagnonsclass.blogspot.com/
http://enhancedenglishteachertseale.edublogs.org/
ReplyDeleteI chose to follow the Enhanced English Teacher blog for its connection to several curriculum units that I currently teach as well as information on Ning and grant writing. Both of these are topics that I am working in my master’s classes. It is nice to see how another high school English teacher uses these types of technology effectively in the classroom. After viewing several of her blogs, I am excited to incorporate the Ning site she developed for her ninth grade students over Romeo and Juliet. Although I could not get into the actual page, I was able to see a snapshot of it – awesome! What a great way to engage students! She also has information how to help students take notes in Google Docs. I would like to share this information with some of my colleagues who take have their students take notes frequently.
I chose to follow "Mr Robbo - The PE Geek" blog. He has timely information such as up-dated research in PE, technology uses for PE classes, and thought-provoking information to remind PE teachers how to engage all types of students in class, not just the athletically talented! He blogs frequently so I will have many updates to keep me current and actively thinking about how to incorporate technology as well as to continue to be a better teacher.
ReplyDeletehttp://thepegeek.com/
David,
ReplyDeleteI was going to post that same blog site but saw you already had it posted. I think that there is some great information on how to infuse technology into the classroom on that site and I have subscribed to it as well.
Amy,
ReplyDeleteSorry I took your site.....I struggle to find suitable blogs for my class, (4th grade). I want to make sure it is age appropiate for them. I thought the one I choose would give me the best resources for them.
I'm following Dangerously Irrelevant: Technology, Leadership, and the Future of Schools. It's an interesting blog about how technology is impacting school policy and changing the way we view education. There are some great links to videos and articles regarding current trends and changes caused by technology. In addition, fearless author Scott McLeod introduces some controversial topics I plan to bring up with my students, especially during our persuasive writing unit. Check out the blog at this URL:
ReplyDeletehttp://dangerouslyirrelevant.org/
I have a few that I discovered had some great things for my students to do. A few are able to do it on their own or with the class or small group. The math one I would like to share is:
ReplyDeletehttp://hoodamathblog.com/
by Michael Edlavitch
Some of the games are a bit hard for my students, but I can send the site home to the few parents that have computers and they can help their child with the age appropriate functions.
Some of the games really make the students think, which I love. We will do some as a whole class break or as a reward for working hard for some kiddos.
I found a Music Tech for Teachers blog written by a drummer! He has provided an abundant of outstanding resources for all music educators. The reason I was drawn to his blog was his dedication to technology and the large number of resources that he provides. I too want to implement many of these in my own classroom. This site will definitely become one of my most valuable resources for helping me to become a better music educator. By adding a little technology at a time I can improve student learning using the tools available. This of course will take time but well worth it! I also enjoyed reading from other music educators who also shared other valuable resources for my theory, music appreciation and band students.
ReplyDeletehttp://johnstonb.wordpress.com
I already use National Geographic for Kids to teach my 5th graders current events and social studies/science issues. I was THRILLED to discover that they also have a BLOG for kids to share. My students will love reading from other kids from all over the world.
ReplyDeletehttp://kidsblogs.nationalgeographic.com/blogs/
The blog I chose to subscribe to is called It's Not All Flowers and Sausages. This is a blog for TEACHERS WHO ROCK and are frustrated by the day to day drama that gets in the way of our interactions with children. Don't get me wrong, I love my job, but sometimes a girl has gotta vent...
ReplyDeleteI thought this site would be a lot of fun to blog back and forth with other teachers who may need a laugh, may need advice on certain topics and like the author of the blog said, a girl sometimes needs to vent. Maybe I will get some good tips on how to deal with disruptive students.
Here is the link:
http://itsnotallflowersandsausages.blogspot.com/
The blog I chose to follow has a huge collection of resources for all disciplines of science. It seeks to help science and math teachers use the best sites available when presenting different topics. This blog posts often and also posts professional development webinar offerings. I have never participated in webinar - they seem intimidating but who know? Maybe eventually. I hope that this blog will help me to incorporate some better resources into my classroom.
ReplyDeletehttp://expertvoices.nsdl.org/middle-school-math-science/
The blog I am now following is about a software called OneNote.
ReplyDeletehttp://blogs.msdn.com/b/david_rasmussen/rss.aspx
Since I don't have "students" I wanted to find a blog to follow that could be useful for the adult Chick-fil-A Restaurant operators my department trains. They have extremely busy schedules, and often attend multiple daily meetings. This Office Suite program provides a way to organize meeting notes, ideas, collaboration, and schedules with others. I am just getting to know more about OneNote myself, so I'm selfishly interested in it, too.
Here is a link to one of the educational blog that I decided to join:
ReplyDeletehttp://needleworkspictures.com/
This link is designed for teachers who want to be Tech savvy and implement technology into their lessons to create life long learners. I choose this link because I would like to find new ways to integrate technology into my classroom and need tips on how to do so. I figure that even if most the ideas presented in the blog are not exactly age-appropriate for my students (pre-school), I could modify the examples to fit my student needs and/or the blog could help trigger some ideas of my own.
I subscribed to Mrs. Hills Book Blog. This is a librarian's blog for middle school literature. It is very well done. There are also author interviews and such. When I am done with my master's degree, my next thing is going to be young adult literature. I am excited to use this site!
ReplyDeletehttp://hillbookblog.blogspot.com/
I subscribed to the blog, Topics in Early Childhood Education. Here is the link:
ReplyDeletehttp://eceducation.blogspot.com/
I chose this blog for my Careers in Education program (formally named Early Childhood Eduation). My students and myself will find the vast knowledge and information that the author shares regarding conferences, articles, links, and a plethora of activities very useful when lesson planning, researching and completing assignments. This blog could serve as a model for a senior or class project of creating our own blog that can be shared with other educators as well as the parents from our onsite preschool lab.
Leah,
ReplyDeleteMy program was affiliated with the NH chapter of FCCLA. We have been away from the organization for a few years, we now just concentrate on local leadership activites and service projects. In the past, I've taken students to several state and national conferences all of which they thoroughly enjoyed and succeeded at. For some, it gave them confidence and pride in themselves and in their futures goals.
The blog I choose to follow is call TeachPaperless. The post that actually caught my eye was: http://teachpaperless.blogspot.com/2009/12/21-things-that-will-become-obsolete-in.html
ReplyDeleteI choose this blog because rather then just highlighting interesting tech tools, Shelley Blake-Plock actually describes ways to go paperless. Explaining what it will look and feel like in a classroom as well as what can go wrong. As I looked over previous posts I found that I enjoyed the way that he wrote and he made me think.
I chose to use edublogs because I was already somewhat familiar with it. I know that I would be able to connect with multiple teachers’ blogs, but my main purpose of using this blog would be to communicate with my parents and students. I need to start posting events and important dates for my parents and students. I would also like to let parents know what their students are learning periodically. I eventually plan on creating pages where my students can reflect on lessons and communicate with each other.
ReplyDeletehttp://hazlettramtech.edublogs.org/
http://creatinglifelonglearners.com/
ReplyDeleteThis site has some great ways to integrate technology into the classroom. This is posted by Mathew Needleman. This is straight from his website: "Creating Lifelong Learners aims to offer practical tips for elementary teachers in teaching traditional and new media literacies, valuing students and their cultures, appealing to different learning modalities, and integrating technology in the curriculum with an emphasis on video production and podcasting."
Here are other blogs I am following:
http://www.classroomchronicles.net/
The link for Classroom Chronicles that was at http://henriettami.wordpress.com/ has moved.
http://www.freetech4teachers.com/
I am always looking for free technologies for teachers. This has free resources and lesson plans for teaching with technology.
http://thefastlane-janine.blogspot.com/2010/11/tgif.html
I plan to subscribe to all people in my blog alliance, but this is what I have so far.
http://drjamesbacker.blogspot.com/
I have never traveled outside of the United States except for Canada which doesn’t really count since Montana borders it and my dad’s family is from Canada. So, I am subscribing to James’ blog. One day I am going to travel!
Oops I did my last post wrong. I went back and found a blog that I would find very useful. It is a blog that provides lesson plans that incorporate Web 2.0 tools with English/Language Arts. The posts include materials, the project, reflection, and results. I will continually check on this blog to come up with new ideas to incorporate technology with my English/Language Arts lessons.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.yoursmarticles.blogspot.com/
Well, I couldn't choose just one so I have three music blogs that are great!
ReplyDeleteThe first one is about folk music. Since my 1st and 2nd graders learn a lot about folk music and dances I thought this would be great! Burl Ives just made a comment.
http://folkmusic.about.com/
The second one is called Fun music company and it has all kinds of sections for music teachers. Copyrights, five minute fillers, teaching lessons, etc.
I am using "Boom Chicka Boom" this week as a filler and also to motivate squirmy students. Lisa, you should check it out for your music appreciation kids! ha!
http://www.funmusicco.com/musicteachersblog
The third blog I have on RSS is So you want to teach?
http://www.soyouwanttoteach.com/the-first-ever-music-education-blog-carnival/
This one has some great articles, one is "How to transform from classroom bully to favorite teacher".
Teaching with little ones I know we can be pretty intimidating. I am looking forward to this blog.
@ Julie -- Just pick a webinar! They are fun and easy. You just sit there and listen in, or you can chat with others in the audience. You can even ask questions of the presenter. I actually require attending a webinar when I teach f2f in cohorts.
ReplyDeleteWell after reading several of the suggestions from the previous comments and the few sites that Carmin suggested I finally chose a few. The first one is called Math Mama Writes. She has some great ideas, especially for students that are kinesthetic learners. At the high school level, I am struggling to find ideas to engage my students. Their previous math experience at this level has been poor. Hooda Math is also great but I cannot find a place to subscribe to it. The last site is a general technology site that is FREE. Teachers love free.
ReplyDeleteMath Mama link http://mathmamawrites.blogspot.com/
Hooda Math link http://hoodamathblog.com/
Free Technology http://www.freetech4teachers.com/
Hello
ReplyDeleteHere is a new blog for me to subscribe to.
http://www.teachpreschool.org/2010/11/playing-with-pompoms-in-preschool/
This blog has a plethora of ideas for the pre-school teacher. This blog will be a good resource for me as I always can use new ideas.
Thanks for the suggestion Carmin.
I appreciate it.
http://lofflinannotations.blogspot.com/
ReplyDeleteThis blog has an annotation about an article for all you title one schools that have been put on "the list" for AYP.
I am in one of "those" buildings and I am feeling lots of pressure to preform.
Dr. Lofflin is my former literacy professor and is always very thoughtful about her responses.
She reads and annotates hundreds of articles on literacy. If you are looking for specific research her site would be a good one to search.
Have a nice evening.
Looking for other blogs to follow? Here's a list of '100 best blogs for tech-savvy teachers'.
ReplyDeleteURL: http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com/2009/09/13/100-best-blogs-for-tech-savvy-teachers/
I have continued to expand (slowly) the number of blogs I follow and I added to that from this website. I hope you find it useful!
I chose Technology Medley because it introduced me to some interesting Web 2.0 tools that I hadn't yet heard of. I am surprised that I haven't come across Imbee, for example. The idea of a social network for kids monitored by adults is an interesting one. Of course, if a teacher can get really excited about a new curriculum twist, the students often follow suit! http://blog.pamelgin.net/2009/03/14/web-20-digital-tools-for-digital-kids/
ReplyDelete